The winter edition of The Voice celebrates the 10th Birthday of New Connexions Free Church in High Barns, Ely, and news from the Golf Day, Connexion Trustees and Broad Oak Chapel.
This edition's Bible Study is kindly provided by Keith Waters from New Connexions Free Chuch, and the 'Focus On' series features information about Jui in Sierra Leone.
Thanks to everybody for your prayers and fellowships across the UK and Sierra Leone.
Please click on the link below to read the full edition of The Voice
The Voice - Winter Edition
Janet O'Shea, Bethany and Esther Green from Rosedale Community Church in Cheshunt set off for Sierra Leone on Tuesday 27 November for a 13 day visit.
They will be staying at the Bethesda Orphanage and visiting a number of churches and schools in the local area.
Church members at Rosedale are supporting the mission with a daily prayer diary:
Monday 26 November
- For last minute preparations and some. sleep.
Tuesday 27 November
- For a safe flight to Freetown and a safe journey to Bethesda Orphanage
- That Janet, Bethany and Esther will have opportunities to witness to individuals throughout the trip
Wednesday 28 November
- For good relations, team spirit and unity
- For a clearer understanding of the mission ahead
- For stamina and coping with the 32C degrees heat
Thursday 29 November
- For blessing upon Daniel, Magnus and the Sierra Leone team
- That Janet, Bethany and Esther will be a blessing to everyone they meet
Friday 30 November
- For travelling mercies as they visit. schools and churches
- That Jesus, not man, will be glorified and worshipped
Saturday 1 December
- For clear lines of communication and bridging the cultural gap
- For the blessing of many as the contents of the containers are distributed
Sunday 2 December
- For good sleep
- For God's anointing on Janet and Bethany to speak with power and authority
Monday 3 December
- For blessings on the ministry of Bethesda Orphanage
- That Janet, Bethany and Esther would be worthy ambassadors of Christ
Tuesday 4 December
- For the O'Shea and Green families back home
- That Janet, Bethany and Esther would not miss anything that the Lord would have them say or do
Wednesday 5 December
- For Janet, Bethany and Esther's health and safety
- That lives will be transformed during any meeting
Thursday 6 December
- For 'fruit' to be generated from the entire trip
- That the Holy Spirit will have freedom to work in and through Janet. Bethany and Esther
Friday 7 December
- That God will be pleased by all that the team have done
- For a safe car trip back to Freetown
- That God would speak clearly to Janet, Bethany and Esther about future commitments
Saturday 8 December
- For a safe flight home
- For easy adjustments returning to the families
- Give thanks to God for all that He has done
Janet, Bethany and Esther will be grateful for all of your prayers during and following the trip.
At Zion Community Church, St Ives, we are focusing on the OT Books Ezra and Nehemiah, this autumn. Considering how God led the return of his people from exile back to Jerusalem, how he led the rebuilding of the temple, and how he led the renewal of his people in their worship according to his word.
As we consider the word, we are praying for God to build us up as a church, and that we might be renewed ourselves.
Discerning the challenge
As we look to the Lord for our town and country, we are seeking to better understand the task ahead of us, we are also looking at John Stevens' book, Knowing our Times, and considering what lessons we can glean from it.
It is sobering to learn that “The best statistics would suggest that little more than 3% of the population as a whole are born-again believers who are meaningfully associated with a local church”. We do indeed have a missionary task ahead of us!
Once we have thought through the task ahead of us, we will be devoting our mid-week Bible studies to applying the lessons from Ezra & Nehemiah to see what God's word has to teach us, in our situation, in our day.
We also have a visit from a representative from Elam, to learn about God's work in the Iran region, along with support from friends preaching for us.
It has come to our attention that there are quite a few lonely people in our community, so following 1 Peter: 4 we want to love, pray, offer hospitality, serve and speak to them. Once a month, as a community church, we will be hosting local non-Christians for dinner in a gesture of love and friendship and inviting them to join us at our Christmas outreach services.
The Countess Free Church in Ely continues to engage with the local community in diverse ways. Whether it is parent n toddler, local Foodbank, or working with people at the margins, our hope is that regardless of who we meet, the person in front of us might discover Jesus through us and our work.
We pray for connections - people connecting with God, discovering that Jesus saves and restores.
Our newest venture is taking a chaplaincy into the local secondary school, enabling us to engage with local pupils.
Zion Community Church seeks to be active in sharing the gospel through personal evangelism. Reaching out to young people through our youth groups, giving away books and invitations at local events, welcoming visitors to church, having invitational services at Christmas and Easter, and supporting United Beach Missions in their work on the beaches and streets of the town during the summer.
Welcome to the Summer edition of The Voice
This edition looks back to conference only a few weeks ago, and it was lovely to see many of you there this year. Do enjoy reading about conference and youth conference in this edition, and do consider coming along if you haven’t before. We would love for you to join us in 2019.
Thank you to everybody who sent in articles for this edition, they are very much appreciated and it makes for fantastic reading. Particular thanks to those who have sent in articles for the first time, as well as those who consistently send in brilliant articles, we very much appreciate it.
Don’t miss this edition’s Bible study and reflexion kindly provided this time by Ben Quant, Pastor at Wormley.
This edition we’re also focusing on Tombo in Sierra Leone as part of our ‘Focus On’ series. Please do use the information you read in this article, and all of the articles to prompt your prayers for fellowships across the UK and Sierra Leone.
View full PDF