Churches all over the country have been celebrating the Harvest Festival this week.
It is one of the oldest and traditional British Festivals taking place around the time of the Harvest Moon - a full moon that appears closest to the autumn equinox. In 2021 this took place on Sunday 3 October.
British harvest celebrations date back to the pagans giving thanks for the successful gathering of crops. And in 1621 English settlers, known as the “Pilgrims”, took the idea of Thanksgiving to North America, which has continued to be celebrated every year.
Church Harvest Festival services, as we know them today, gained popularity in Victorian times, giving parishioners an opportunity to thank God for his generosity of provision and encouraging people to share their bounty with others.
Our Connexion churches are delighted to welcome people back into the church buildings, but many of the churches are still streaming services online. so they can be accessed and shared throughout the UK.
Pumpkin Photo by Kerstin Wrbaon (Unsplash)
Check the list below of available links to streamed services enable you to join in.
- Wormley Free Church continue to stream Virtual Church recordings on their website: www.wormleyfreechurch.org.uk.
- Rosedale Community Church posts Sunday messages every week on their YouTube page: Rosedale Community Church
- Bolney Village Chapel is streaming Sunday services on their Facebook page. They begin at 10.30am: Bolney Village Chapel
- South Street Free Church also post Sunday services on their YouTube page:South Street Free Church
- Access is still available to The Lockdown Band website, which features songs, video and audio recordings. Link: www.wormleylockdownband.com
A number of churches also post Podcasts of sermons from Sunday services on their websites. These include:
- Goring Free Church: goringfreechurch.org.uk
- The Countess Free Church, Ely: countessely.co.uk
- New Connections Free Church: newconnexionschurch.org.uk
- Turners Hill Free Church: thfchurch.org
- Woodmancote Church: woodmancotechurch.org.uk