Great British Spring Clean
One way to get out and about during the lockdown road map restrictions would be to join in with the Great British Spring Clean, running from 28 May to 13 June, and organised by Keep Britain Tidy.
During the Great British Spring Clean, Keep Britain Tidy work with a range of partners across the UK – from big business and trusts to community groups and councils as well as members of the public. Everyone comes together as a network of #LitterHeroes to get rubbish off the ground, safely collected and, where possible, recycled.
Now in its sixth year, the Great British Spring Clean is the nation’s biggest mass-action environmental campaign.
In 2019, more than half a million #LitterHeroes collected nearly a million bags of litter - equating to 4,308 tons - that would have otherwise remained on our streets and beaches and in our parks.
Following the Great British September Clean 2020, volunteers were asked how taking part in the project made them feel:
- 79% agreed that volunteering helped improve their mood
- 44% agreed the campaign helped them feel less anxious about what is happening in the world right now and
- 43% said it helped them feel less isolated
- 78% feel more pride for their local area
- 64% feel more part of their local community
So evidence quite clearly shows that taking part in litter picking is good for both the soul and the environment!
Click on the link below to find out how to join in: